Saturday, October 12, 2013

Heirs episode 2 - Dramatic Review


Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Okay all, so is anyone else feeling the chemistry between these two or am I just weird?  Even this early on in the drama I swear it is palpable.  Granted, that could be my obvious bias for Lee Min Ho, but still....  Wow.

And how much are we hating Tan's fiance, Rachel?  Holy hot dang - she's something else, isn't she?  When she pushed Eun Sang's suitcase down the stairs??? 

I wanted to push her down the stairs in turn.  Seems fair to me.  I am thinking of some choice words to use to describe her in that moment, but will refrain so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities, but I bet you were thinking the exact same thing in that moment as I was.  I absolutely hate her character and want her to disappear.  I'm very nervous about what she's going to do with the "Talkbook" comment left by Eun Sang's friend, Chan Young.  Ugh.  We just met and I loathe her.  This does not bode well for the next 18 episodes of our relationship.

Speaking of relationships - how screwy is what is going on in Tan's family?  What I'm getting from this episode, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but he has a father and his father has a wife and a mistress that was brought into the household by his wife.  Tan is the son of the mistress.  The mistress is Eun Sang's mother's boss and the reason why Eun Sang hates Tan's family that she doesn't yet know he belongs to.  The older brother -- I'm a little lost on who his mother is.  The actual wife says that she has no children, but he seems to see her as mom.  Or nanny.  I really don't know or understand what all just happened there.  Hopefully it will clear up soon.  Maybe it's just me that missed it.  Maybe I should go back and watch it again.  You know, for research sake.  Has nothing to do with the eye candy.

Speaking of the eye candy -- whoa.  Whoa, whoa, whoa horsey.  How many more pretty boys are they going to throw at us?  Not that I mind, but it sure makes the whole story thing a little harder to follow when I'm distracted by the crush of sugar-coated numminess popping out all over.  Kim Woo Bin, Kang Min Hyuk, Choi Jin Hyuk, Kang Ha Neul, Park Hyung Sik... I think they're seriously trying to kill me.  Between this one and Medical Top Team...oi, my fragile fangirl heart can't stand it.  It's marvelous, isn't it?  Simply, simply marvelous.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Go ahead drama gods, kill me ded and take me to your heaven filled with an entire endless garden of flower boys.

I know I already mentioned it, but there's plenty of material given for us to talk in length about the sparks flying between our two lead characters.  I swear every chance they get they're touching each other.  I loved how Tan choked as he was standing there watching Eun Sang barricade her door and then she started changing.  The looks he has been giving her...oh my.  Like when she woke up in the morning and went out to his spectacular backyard to soak in the most incredible view and he was so struck by her in that moment.  Chills!  And later, as they kept having to run away and each took turns grabbing the other's wrist, I was totally melting.  He is so into her.  I loved how he got crazy jealous when she sent that message to her friend asking for help and he was all interrogating her about who he was.  I also loved how he got all snoopy and checked her out on "Talkbook" and then later let it slip that he knew her name despite her not telling him.  Ahhh...so many wonderful and spectacular moments so early on.  I know it means disaster is coming to blow things up between them later, but I don't care about that right now.  I am so over-the-moon with giddiness that he's already crushing on her, enough to even admit to it as they sit in the movie theatre hiding out from the latest band of thugs to chase them.  I did the whole fangirl kicking squeeeeeee and everything in that part.  I just really look forward to the day when he kicks that nasty fiance of his to the curb and lives happily ever after with Eun Sang.  That will be a very estactic moment in time for me personally.  'Cuz that's just the kind of girl I am.

Now, let's talk about the random other things, about how they are literally hopping all over Southern California so fast I can't keep up.  I know you'll think it strange, but I get so excited and teary-eyed when I spot someplace I recognize instantly.  And it happened a lot in this episode.  I will soon be in California for a little visit and am so tempted to go on an Heirs pilgrimmage.  I swear, I very well might fling myself on the ground and kiss where Lee Min Ho stood.  Not that there's anything strange about that at all.  Nah.  Totally normal.  It is just so amazingly cool to see a drama being shot in a place I consider to be my home-away-from-home and that I know.

One last thing to touch on, and this one makes me a little less happy.  While I found it better than the first episode in this particular respect, it still bothers me how America and Americans are being played out.  It saddens me that this is our "public face" - drugs, thugs, and morons.  I did appreciate the teacher at Tan's school how he spoke almost normal and seemed like a decent and smart fella.  But seriously, what is up with all the thugs running around?  I'm not mad about it, just kind of sad.  It's like I have this crush on Korea and I just want them to like me back.  I don't want them to see me this way.  I'm just hoping it gets better in this area.  We're not perfect by any means, but we're also not all that bad.  Don't judge us just by our drugs and thugs and morons please.  If nothing else, at least let the Americans sound natural in their dialogue.  And what was up with the British voice on the automated operator message?  Did that strike anyone else as odd?  Listen, I know that this is a Korean drama and so I'm not going to get all nit-picky about the American stuff.  It really doesn't matter that much in the end.  Just a few little tweaks here and there, mostly in the dialogue category, and we're good.

Alrighty then, folks.  That's about all I have to say on this episode for now.  I liked it a lot, I hope I made that point clear.  Obviously I'm a huge fan of our lead couple and am thrilled how that is already developing.  I can't wait to see more.  What a relief!  Can you imagine if, after all the hype and anticipation, this one turned out to be a total dud?  I really wasn't all that worried, I mean, it was written by the same lady that wrote two of my all time favorite dramas - Secret Garden and A Gentleman's Dignity.  She also wrote City Hall and I've heard phenomenal things about that one and plan to start it soon as well.  With a stellar track record like that and an outstanding, star-studded cast to boot, how can we possibly lose?  I maintain my high hopes and confidence that those hopes will not be dashed as we continue.  Let me know what you think though.  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Are you perhaps still on the fence?  Do tell :)

Have a wonderful week and we'll see you back soon!  Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Just please remember to keep it clean and keep it nice or you won't survive the moderation round.