Monday, October 28, 2013

Heirs episode 6: Dramatic Review

...or something like that...


I finally got to watch episode 6.  Is there anything more frustrating in the world than having social media EXPLODE with new episode fervor when you haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet, nor will you for days thanks to an overloaded schedule?  I would argue that, no, there is not.  From Thursday on, I was daily taunted by tidbits and exclamations of "OMGee!  Did you see blah, blah, blah in/on Heirs?" and so forth.  It's like a special kind of torture.  Luckily for me though, I finally ended the torture today, just in enough time to enjoy a couple of more days of torture before episode 7.  At least I'm now caught up and suffering the same agony as the rest of you.  It's always better to be on this side of the torture fence.  Torture fence?  Ow.  Sounds painful.  And spiky.

This drama for all its cliche and dramafication, is so flippin fun that I'm totally loving it!  There are plenty of squeees and verbal outbursts erupting from my normally mild, quiet and docile self.  I still can't put my finger on it, but the tone of this one still strikes me as different when compared to other dramas out there.  Not even in a good or bad way, just different.  Unique.  I like unique.  Unique and I are good, so long as we don't take a turn for "WTFruitcake?".  Is anyone else picking up the unique vibe from this one, or is it just me?  I'd love to know.

Okay, that's enough from me on that for now, so, without further ado, let's talk about this episode as...

Dongsaeng Splits Heirs

1.  Sometimes It's Tough Being the New Kid

Eun Sang's first day at school isn't going so well.  First she walks into the middle of a cold war between former BFFs.  Then she has to stand before the class to introduce herself and is point blank asked why she transferred.  She can't very well answer "because I'm a charity case living in Kim Tan's house and my mom's boss took pity on me", now can she?  Tan of course tries to come to her rescue by taking the spotlight upon himself and therefore diverting the focus away from her, but admittedly it's just a band aid, a temporary fix on a bigger problem.  She's attracting a lot of attention because of the attention she is getting from key players at the school.  Kim Tan, Young Do/Sir Scary, My Chan, Bo Na, and Retchel all already know her and have their individual relationship to her whether it be friend or foe.  Forget blending into the background.  Girl is front and center in a cutthroat environment.  Talk about intimidating.  Yikes.

2.  The Good

So many lovely scenes, especially between our two leads.  These crazy kids and all their chemistry just burning up the screen.  There was the part where Tan grabbed her hand and brought it up to his face as if to kiss it, but smelled it instead for hints of cigarette smoke (nice cover there pal, I ain't buying it).  Right before then he was hiding from and listening to her again in the wine cellar.  And then he jumped out and scared her.  And yes, I giggled.  It was cute.  My favorite scene of all though was when she was hanging the sheets and took a cat nap and he watched her.  Really, I swear, it is so not creepy.  It really isn't.  It's sweet.  Stalkers are scary.  Lee Min Ho Kim Tan is not.  Let's just say that it would take a lot more than that to convince me I needed a retraining order against him.  Ooh!  And then when she wakes up and sees that he has gone but has left the dream catcher hanging there for her???  I died.  Chincha chincha ded.  I am writing this from the great beyond.  There is so little said between these two, yet the romance is strong with them and it is making my poor little heart swoon all over the place.

3.  The Bad

Retchel is all jealous and something tells me that she's not one you want to cross.  Sir Scary and Tan's animosity continues to grow and fester between the two of them.  The Kim brothers Won and Tan are still on the outs, despite Dad's very weird and uncomfortable efforts to get them in the same room by calling some bogus emergency board meeting on a Saturday.  Dude, just because you technically can do something, doesn't mean that you should.  What a crappy way to treat your employees.  And kids.  This guy is so messed up and has messed up the lives of those he should love and protect.  All because he couldn't keep it in his pants.  Let's just say that I am not a member of his fan club right now.

Another issue that I'm going to toss under the "bad" category is Eun Sang's situation at school.  We've gotten the basic rundown of the hierarchy.  Long story short, she's at the very, very bottom of the pile.  She's even below her buddy My Chan, who himself is considered an Untouchable because his father is only a mere Chief Secretary.  If the son of a chief secretary is a charity case, what would that make the daughter of a mute housemaid?  Yeah, it's not good.  The already not good situation gets made even more complicated and possibly/probably worse when Tan declares her as being "new money" and tells her to stay in his shadow and she'll be left alone on his merits alone.  Well, that may sound all chic and debonair to him and he may think that he's doing her some big favor, but what happens when word gets out that she is indeed not "new money" as it inevitably will?  Which brings me to the next point....

4.  The Ugly

Okay, so we're not talking physical appearances here, because frankly there's not a whole lot of ugly going on in the looks department, Kim Tan's horrid sweaters aside.  But what we do seem to have is a lot of beautiful people acting ugly.  Prime example of course would be Sir Scary.  I think that there is no question that he likes Eun Sang.  But I wonder just how he likes her and in what way.  What are his intentions with her?  One minute it looks like he's threatening her right after he badly bullies the kid with the glasses, and the next he's declaring how he wants to protect her.  I can't trust him, yet I just don't know what is going to happen there.  One thing for sure, he's not buying the whole "new money" status that Kim Tan has pronounced upon her.  How can he when he catches her delivering chicken?

And then the rivalry between these two guys.  Talk about some unresolved issues.  Oh my.  It would seem as if they had been good friends before.  It would also seem that Tan was just as much if not worse of a bully than Sir Scary is now.  He even claims to have begun it.  One possible reason for their falling out is alluded to when Kim Tan mentions how friends can become the worst kind of enemies.  Sad to say, but it makes sense.  Friends know your weaknesses and secrets, like, for example, Tan's illegitimacy.  Sir Scary comes right out and threatens Tan with the truth of his parentage.  Okay, so let me see if I have this all straight.  The boys were friends.  Sir Scares Me a Lot knows what skeletons hang in Kim Tan's family closet.  Both used to be top dogs and major bullies.  Tan seems to have had a change of heart during his exile in America and appears to want to play the nice guy now.  Both guys have a thing for the same girl, a girl who's big secret they both know, at least in part.  Yeah.  I guess all I can say at this point is "let the games begin!"  P.S.  This doesn't even take any of the other characters into consideration like Retchel, who I'm sure will prove to be a formidable opponent of the happiness of our main characters.

5.  How Many Countries Has Park Shin Hye Saved in Previous Lifetimes?

Ugliness aside, Eun Sang has two gorgeous, rich, and powerful guys gunning for her.  She is literally in the middle of many a stare down between these two top dogs.  She's getting pulled around by both of them in a protective kind of way.  But seriously, Park Shin Hye has got to be one of the luckiest girls on the planet.  And we haven't even gotten to any kissing or serious romantic scenes yet.  Of course I feel for her character as I'm meant to be at this point, but c'mon.  She gets to see this

when she goes to work every day.  Know what I see?  Not that.  Not that I'm jealous.  At all.  Nope.  Not me.  o.O  *sobs silently*


And that, dear readers, that's what I got out of episode 6.  What were your most memorable moments?  What scenes stood out to you?  What made you squeee out loud?  What made you smile, laugh, wince, or cry?  What are you looking forward to getting more of on Wednesday?  Share and let us know - we'd love to hear from you.

Until next time, happy drama watching and thanks for stopping by!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Just please remember to keep it clean and keep it nice or you won't survive the moderation round.