Thursday, August 21, 2014

My Secret Hotel Episode 1 - A Murder and A Wedding

Hello my readers!  Kmuse here ready to recap yet another TvN drama (seriously I just can't say no to them) and this time you are lucky to get two Crazy Ahjummas for the price of one.  Yes, that is right, I will be co-recapping this drama with my favorite red headed ahjumma Dongsaeng!  Since my blogger schedule is so full, and Dongsaeng's real life is so busy, we decided to split up the work so we could fit this drama in (because it really is that fun of a drama).  Now for my quick introduction for any new readers that might come across our blog for the first time!
For those of you just discovering our awesome blog, I am Kmuse, one of the three main bloggers in The Crazy Ahjummas.   I am a mother of three and an avid kdrama watcher, in that I love to watch literally everything.  There are very few currently airing dramas that I am not watching so if you have any questions about them (or really any drama since I have seen an insane amount) feel free to ask me in the comments.  Or better yet come like our facebook page and ask me there. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-crazy-ahjummas/336988683021748?fref=ts For those of you who have not read my past recaps, I am one of those bloggers that really likes to just discuss my opinions on certain scenes or concepts of the drama.  I don't go step by step through the whole thing.  So if you are looking for a more complete recap you might have to look elsewhere (and then come back and read mine of course).  But enough about me, lets get to what you are really waiting for and discuss episode 1 of  "My Secret Romance".
Where to start?  So many little details that seem ominous yet so little blogging time.  I guess I will start where the drama begins.  It is obviously right before an event and wedding planner, Nam Sang-Hyo (Yoo In Na - My Love From Another Star, Secret Garden), is confidently ticking off items on her wedding checklist.  Everything is perfect except for a missing ice sculpture and its maker, her 2nd in command (IS THIS A CLUE???  I swear I am already seeing clues in every glance, random comment, and missing assistant).   Sang Hyo hears that the Groom is having issues and goes into fix-it mode.  She brings the groom, Koo Hae Young (Lee Jin Han- Empress Ki, A New Leaf), some tea which seems to piss him off.  He claims that it is not nerves upsetting him, but the after affects of the alcohol from the night before.  Phttt.   The two stare at each other and the tension becomes apparent.  
As Hae Young takes his place for his wedding, Sang Hyo walks the opposite direction saying that everything is finally over between them.  However the wedding is brought to a sudden halt as a dead body falls from the skylight right in front of the groom.  DUN DUN DUNNN......
We flash back to two weeks previous and we see the beginning of all the events that lead to the murder (at this point I am really curious as to who the victim was).  Sang Hyo is introduced as the new wedding director at The Secret Hotel, and is in trouble for a released article which inplied that couples who get married at her hotel are divorced within three months of their marriage.  It turned out that only 27% from the previous year had gotten divorced but bad press is pretty important in such a superstitious culture.  Her boss, Jo Sung Gyeom (Namgung Min - I Need Romance 3), reprimands her and tells her to figure out how to fix things ASAP.  But later on when they are alone he apologizes for his gruff demeanor in the meeting and asks her on a work "date" (Take a shot - reference the random thoughts section).

Just taking a break to comment that I really have not enjoyed Namgung Min in his last several roles.  I know that he has his fans, but I am just not one of them.  His chemistry with the ladies is always mediocre and my only positive comment is that at least I will not have a problem with 2nd lead syndrome if he is in that part.
Note that second lead syndrome would ever even be an option with Tal Tal as the lead (I know he has another name, but really he will always be Tal Tal to me. I am sure Empress Ki fans can relate.) Lee Jin Han is one of those actors that has skated under the radar until his character burst into the public's conscious in the 2nd half of EK, he received a 2nd lead role immediately following EK's end in the legal drama A New Leaf, but was greatly underused (really the whole cast was underused so it was not just him).  Lucky for us he accepted a new role almost before the previous drama had ended, and this time for a leading man!  And from what I have seen in episode 1, he has finally found a vehicle to drive his talent to the masses.
They even make his extreme sexiness a part of the plot as a woman comes rushing into Hae Young architecture firm, waving his wedding invitation, and declares that Hae Young needs to take responsibility for her.  His employees shamelessly eavesdrop and wonder if the stranger is pregnant, but wince when instead of being pregnant, she claims that Hae Young ruined her with his sexy looks and smooth voice. Let as all just admit that we fangirls have had similar thoughts every once in a while and can relate. I totally laughed when Hae Young just tells the crazy lady to sue him then.
 Sang Hyo decides to fix her PR woes by focusing on an upcoming wedding and having the couples "epic love" be the focus on a campaign to show how romantic the hotel is.  This plan is foiled when the bride's groom turns out to be Hae Young, who just so happens to be Sang Hyo's ex-husband.  It seems that the couple had married, unknown to anyone else, in Vegas.  We viewers just get small hints into the marriage and we find out that they divorced soon after their wedding and are surprised to see the other.  Needless to say, neither wants to be involved in this comedy of errors, although there is obvious feelings left over on both sides.
Depressed and upset after meeting her ex, Sang Hyo goes on a bender and manages to get very very drunk.  So drunk that when her boss is taking her to one of the hotel rooms to sleep it off (and take a shot - even with another person present it still looks suspicious when he brings her into the hotel) Sang Hyo proceeds to sit down in the lobby and refuse to move until Sung Gyeom agrees to marry her.  HAHAHA, this is making it into my next top 5 countdown - the drunk edition, as one of my new favorite drunken kdrama scenes.  There is just something so cute when Sang Hyo demands her boss wed her and I laughed at everyone's reactions when he said "yes".  The next day Sang Hyo is forced to do the walk of shame when she goes to work (which was just downstairs....laugh) and is shocked to learn of her horrible behavior in front of her boss and coworkers.  She fakes drunken amnesia when she apologizes to Sung Gyeom about her actions, he just smiles and says he is disappointed since he had wanted to marry her (and take a shot) as he walked off, much to Sang Hyo's befuddlement.
All of the hotel's employees were abuzz about Sung Gyeom and Sang Hyo's "engagement" the next morning. Hae Young, who is on his way to break the wedding hall contract, hears the rumors and in a fit of pip rips up the cancellation demanding that Sang Hyo does her best on planning his wedding.
There are obviously a lot of leftover unresolved feelings between our OTP (One True Pairing) and I for one am thrilled with the tension between them. Yoo In Na is one of those actresses that is hit and miss (mostly due to the writing of her 2nd lead characters).  And as far as I can recall, this is only her second drama where she is the lead and so far she is doing a stellar job.  Sang Hyo is cute, funny, and endearing and obviously has some sizzling chemistry with both men.  This bodes well for the future of the drama as long as the writing stays tight.  We also have a lot of ominous moments throughout the show.  I am excited to see all these "secrets" that everyone seems to have revealed and hope that it will enhance the comedy and romance within the drama.
Random Thoughts:
Whoever styled workplace nemesis, Eun Joo's hair, should be shot.  It truly is horrible and makes me think of a toddler cutting her own hair.   
Does anyone else think that boss Jo Sung Gyeom, is walking a fine line when it comes to workplace sexual harassment?  I know it is easy to ignore since he is attractive and single, but if the boss was fat and older his actions would be looked at in a totally different light.  This may be a possible drinking game?  Every time that Sung Gyeom says something that could be misconstrued, then take a shot.
Thanks for joining us for the first of many recaps!  I can't wait to find out some answers. Who died?  How are all these employees connected?  What the heck happened in Vegas?  Hopefully these questions as well as ones that I have yet to think of will be answered ASAP.  Be sure to check back for Daesong's recap of ep 2!

Kmuse


2 comments:

  1. Oh oh I totally agree with you on Sung Gyeom thing! I felt the same way and I honestly felt very uncomfortable. He seems liker he is a player... I think Nam Goong Nim is cute and I love his voice but I have yet to be impressed by his acting. I think his role could have been played better by someone else. I'm loving Yoo In Na! Awesome recap! I always love reading your recaps! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following us! I am so excited to be recapping this one. Already in love with it after two episodes.

      Delete

We love comments! Just please remember to keep it clean and keep it nice or you won't survive the moderation round.