Monday, November 26, 2012

{Monday Morning Therapy with Dongsaeng} Castaway on the Moon

Well, well, well.  What do we have here?  I'd just like to point out that it is 1) Monday and 2) still morning and that I am 3) posting.  Will wonders never cease?  I'm on a one week streak here!  This is awesome!  And coming off a holiday weekend too.  I mean, wow.  Way to go me.  I just hope I don't let it go to my head, all this awesomeness.

Today I want to switch gears and do something I've yet to try here.  I've reviewed dramas.  I've reviewed books.  I've reviewed music.  I've even chatted about food.  All in an attempt to keep things fresh and cover all sorts of aspects of this K world that has sucked me in lock, stock, and barrel.  One thing I haven't done yet though is cover a movie.  Why?  Well, the most obvious reason being that, until last night, I had only seen one K movie and it was long before I started blogging here, so you know, it didn't exactly ever come to mind as a topic idea.  But last night I watched a movie that has forever been sitting in my Netflix queue and am still, shall I say, "over the moon" about it and would love to spend a moment chatting and sharing the magic with you this fine Monday morning.

As you can probably guess from the oh-so-clever title of this post, the movie was Castaway on the Moon.  Raise your hand if you've seen this fine cinematic treasure.  Anyone?  Hopefully there are some hands raised out there, because really, in my full and unbiased opinion, this is one that shouldn't be missed.  I truly enjoyed this film from beginning to end.  It was funny.  Like trying-hard-not-to-laugh-and-wake-the-sleeping-husband-beside-me, whole-bed-shaking kind of funny.  It was poignant.  It was heartwarming.  It was just a 2 hour treat that I can't wait to share with others and experience again for myself.

The basic premise is that this man tries to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge into the Han River.  Only things don't quite go as planned as he finds himself waking up on the shoreline of an island in the middle of the river.  There he is, stranded on an island, within full view of civilization.  See, right there, that to me is so cool.  You know, like the juxtaposition of it all and other smart sounding words that movie reviewers like to use.  Think Tom Hanks' Castaway, but surrounded by bustling metropolis.  There is so much I want to say and funny moments I'd love to share with you, but I'd hate to give anything away.  It's much better when it's all fresh and surprising.  I will, however, share a very vague reference to one of my absolute favorite parts - the delivery guy.  If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.  That part was hysterical and just so, so perfect I could die.  I also loved his "pen pal" - I thought she was phenomenal.  And gorgeous.  I want her hair.  I would have loved to know more about her story, like how she got her scar and if that had anything to do with why she was the way that she was.

I don't really have anything negative to say about this movie, other than maybe the like, two moments?, that were maybe a tad similar to Tom Hanks' movie.  But then again, they were different enough that it wasn't really the same at all.  I just know that when I show it to The Husband, he's going to point it out.  He likes to do that - point out things that he says are rip-offs of something else.  It's rather annoying.  Other than the idea that it is a man stranded on a deserted island for an extended length of time, the two movies really are so very different.  Does he make "friends" with inanimate objects with faces?  Well, yes.  But wouldn't you?  I totally would.  Does he at some point have to say farewell to those "friends"?  Well, I'm not going to tell you that.  But if he does, he does it in a completely different way from Tom Hanks' "Wilson!!!!!!!!!".  Just sayin'.  You know, if it was in there and all.  But I'm not going to give anything away.  My lips are sealed.  I can't speak for my fingers though and since they're the ones actually technically doing the communication at the moment....  Seriously though, they aren't at all the same movie.  The undertone and message of this one is completely different.  It's a beautiful film and worthy of all sorts of praise.  The end.

If you haven't seen it, I would urge you to check out Castaway on the Moon sometime.  And then let us know what you thought of it.  Like on our Facebook page or something.  Whatever.  No pressure.  We're not needy.  Nope, not at all.

If my glowing review isn't enough incentive to invest a couple of hours in cinematic delight, here's a trailer for the movie.  The mushroom scene, by the way, was the one that had me in stitches trying so hard not to laugh hysterically.
 




In completely unrelated news, there were some new albums/MVs released this weekend.  Lee Seung Gi released his 5 track mini album "Forest".  Unnie has asked to have the pleasure of reviewing that one, so I'm going to leave it to her and not say anymore on it at this time.  But you should know that it's out in case you didn't know already.  Also, TVXQ released their newest MV - Humanoids.  I just now heard it for the first time when I went to find the link for you all.  I usually have to hear a song a few times before I know for sure what I think, so I'll pass on my final judgement for now, but on the first listen, I liked it.  Check it out for yourself if you haven't seen it yet.



To wrap things up today, how about a little SHINee?  This is their PV for their upcoming 1000 Years Always by Your Side.  Pretty boys singing a pretty song with some pretty imaging.  Sounds perfect for a Monday morning.


A little heavy on the SM today, aren't I?

And with that, I'm going to leave you for today.  While it's still morning.  And so that I can go clean my house  watch the newest Full House 2.  I hear rumor that there was a change in hairstyles.  This I have to see for myself.  I wish you all the very best of Mondays and I hope that the rest of your week is swell too. May your post-Turkey-day-back-to-reality go well and whatever leftovers remain still taste delicious.  (I wish I had leftovers.  Two Thanksgiving dinners but I have no leftovers to show for it.  That's what you get when you don't cook the bird yourself.  That's okay.  Still worth it.  Definitely still worth it.)   Thanks for stopping by!

:) 안녕!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Just please remember to keep it clean and keep it nice or you won't survive the moderation round.